The process for identifying eligible faculty and required application material: The Dean/Vice Provost will notify faculty eligible for consideration and encourage their application. Eligible faculty interested in being considered for the appointment will be asked to submit the following materials electronically (in a single PDF document):
- A one-page letter of interest addressed to the Dean/Vice Provost and an updated CV (please underscore special achievements related to teaching such as innovative instructional grants, teaching awards or citations, and the like);
- A statement (limited to three pages) about her/his engagements in and aspirations for innovative undergraduate teaching and how the nominee plans to satisfy the requirement of teaching annually in either the Collegium or Clusters during her or his incumbency as chair holder;
- A record of teaching in the Freshmen Cluster Program and/or Honors Collegium during the past five years; the record should include a listing of the relevant courses (title and term/year offered), a one-page synopsis for each, and if available (and relevant), a copy of the printed course evaluation for each.
The process for selecting the candidate for the Waldo W. Neikirk Term Chair:
- The Dean/Vice Provost for undergraduate Education appoints an ad hoc search committee of professors who have taught in the collegium and/or clusters or contributed to undergraduate education in significant ways but are ineligible for consideration because of their expertise falls outside the donor identified areas. The ad hoc search committee will review the materials submitted by all applicants, interview top candidates, and make a recommendation to the Dean/Vice Provost.
- The Dean/Vice Provost will inform the recommended candidate and oversee the preparation of the candidate’s dossier. The dossier will be presented either to the Honors Faculty Advisory Committee or the Freshman Cluster Coordinators for review and vote.
- The Dean/Vice Provost forwards the completed dossier with a record of the faculty vote to the Academic Personnel Office (APO). After checking the dossier, APO forwards it to the Council on Academic Personnel (CAP) for review and recommendation to the Vice Chancellor-Academic Personnel (VC-AP) for final decision. The Dean/Vice Provost issues the appointment letter.